Sherry and Aidah came over again the other night... Aidah was really ill with fever and suspected malaria so I sorted her out with medication and food. She lay on my bed in my room and fell asleep as I read the journal which Sherry had been keeping since my last visit. Mum and Dad rang and Sherry talked to them.. although I think both sides found it difficult to understand eachother haha mother you do talk fast! But she was sooo happy after talking to you she went home and told her family and friends that she went to England for a few minutes..it was the highlight of her day!
One of the girls from the slums came to me and looked so distressed she was almost crying on my bed.. she explained how a Witch Doctor had injected something into her hand and put a curse on her which declared that she would die young. So everytime she is sick she fears it is her time to go. How awful is that! Imagine having that fear over your life! I talked it through with her and prayed over her. The Witch Doctor has no power over her.
On the evenings I have been sitting with the security guard and just chatting with him about anything and everything. He is so dedicated to what he does.. he has been guarding the guest house since January and has not had one day off! Not even weekends! He just sleeps during the day and then comes to work and sits outside guarding the place on his own all night. I feel so sorry for him coz he has a family in the village about 10hours away who he barely sees because hes doing this job, which he needs to do to cater for them. The money which he earns just covers his rent and food and he sends the rest to his family in the village. It must be such a lonely and difficult life for him. He is such a lovely guy though, very humble and welcoming. I gave him one of the hats Auntie Valerie made (thankuuuu) to keep him warm in the night and he was very chuffed!On Tuesday I met up with Sonja who is a lovely German girl, about my age, who is trying to develop a sports club for the youth in the slums at Mengo. We had a snack and drink together and got on really well.. it was nice to speak to someone in a similar situation. She has learnt L'ugandan so has many stories of how she has spoken back to the guys who shout things like 'Muzumgu give me you money etc' and shocks them when they realise she understands L'ugandan and can stand up for herself haha. I am going to meet up with her again maybe this weekend.
As I returned home a local boy ran straight up to me and clung on to me so tight it was such a biiiiig squeeeeeze I had to pull away slowly coz I didnt think he would ever let go haha. A lot of the kids think its a blessing to be able to touch white skin. I went into the slums the other day to suprise the girls and everyone was saying it was a miracle to find a white in the slums... very surreal!
Tuesday night I suddenly became very dizzy.. the room literally span.. so I jumped up and ran to the bar to grab a bottle of water.. my stomach was so messed up that night I had such a rough nights sleep that i didnt go to work on Wednesday. I woke up with what looked like huuuge mosquito bites all over my arms and back.. it didnt look quite right and was very itchy and I was still feeling dizzy even this morning. So I have just been to the clinic and they said I have an allergy of some sort but they dont know what.. maybe something I have ate or drank or maybe from being in the water on the weekend.. anyway they have given me some cream and tablets so Im sure it will sort itself out in no time.
Oh yeah just quickly I have to share the funny sites of the Boda men.. The other day I saw a woman side-saddling on this motorbike with two tiny children on her lap, a slightly older child riding the back and another riding in front of the driver! So thats one driver, one woman and four kids - probably all under the ages of five - on one motorbike! And today I looked over whilst sitting in the taxi to see a man on his bike, carrying on his seat about 30 full boxes of stuff all stacked up high on top of each other, plus a big bag of potatoes inbetween him and the handle bars PLUS there were other bags hanging from the front! Crazy!
Anyways it was the last day of working at the Autism Centre today as its public holiday tomorrow so I am off to the beach with Immy and Rapha on the weekend and start working with the youth in Mengo next week.
Hope everyone at home is ok and you aren't getting to much trouble with the floods!
Toodleloo xx
Wow, just been reading your blog and wanted to say what a brilliant thing you're doing. Wish I was brave enough cos it just sounds amazing! The people out there must appreciate your help so much, I'll keep them in my prayers. Love Lynette xx
ReplyDeleteThanks babe I appreciate your support xx
ReplyDelete