I have had such a great few days!
On Friday I met up with some english volunteers through VSO who Anna introduced me too.. we met in a local bar/restaurant and I would say there were at least 15 of us, including three english kids with their mum and dad. It was great to speak to like-minded people and find out what everyone is doing here.. One couple, I would say they were in their late 50's, have been here for 4weeks and are learning how to ride a motorbike here! I motorbike! I wouldnt even drive a car on these crazy roads let alone a motorbike! They are going to be here for two years working with people who have special needs and disabilities.. they have also noticed the lack of education in that area and are focussing on changing peoples mindsets towards those with difficulties. Its a big task!
I have also been bonding even more with Sherry and Aidah.. I took them to Entebbe with me to show them where I work and we watched an end of term performance by the nursery kids. They were soo cute! Dancing in grass skirts and singing the elephant song which I taught them to their mums and dads who came to watch. The upper nursery class were leaving to go to P1 - Primary School so they had this reeeeally cute graduation ceremony.. with gowns and hats and certificates just like we do at University! Oh my gosh it was the sweetest thing everrr! They also used the time to celebrate Christmas and acted out the nativity, received presents and we all ate this huuge christmas cake after I had popped a big party popper over their heads which dad gave me ages ago - thanks dad it went down well!
Then I took Sherry and Aidah to the beach and the weather was just as we asked! - no rain! veeeery hot! So hot I got sunburnt! I am a Lobster! It rained in Kampala that day instead so I guess Entebbe was kept lovely just for us! We ate pizza on the beach.. they had never had pizza before and they were trying to work it all out bless them.. I taught them how to use a knife and fork and we just enjoyed each others company looking out onto a long stretch of white sand and calm water.. it was lush! After lunch we chilled paddling in the water.. the girls loved it they have never been to the beach before! Sherry got right stuck in and spent most of her time laying in the shallow water.. they cannot swim so I am going to teach them in a swimming pool when we get another nice day! We spent most of the time taking pictures haha they loved acting like models and were just so happy.
Saturday evening I stayed over at Immy's place and played with her 2yr old son Rapha.. he is beginning to talk and picked up on a guys phrase a few weeks back so now says 'oh my what a day' haha soooo cute he even has a bit of an english accent on it!
Immy spent some time talking to me about giving birth in Uganda and oh my gosh it sounds crazy! When the mothers-to-be waters break they have to find their own gloves, syringes and mat to lie on and bring it to the hospital.. where they are placed in a big room in front of all the other mothers who are giving birth and they basically just get on with it.. with the whole room screaming in pain and without any pain relief at all, watching as some mothers around them survive the ordeal and other's dont. They are given no support afterwards either it sounds horrific I dunno how women do it here!
When I slept that night I was so freaked out coz at about 3am I heard this massive smash of what sounded like glass.. I thought either a window had been broken through or plates had fell in the kitchen.. it doesnt help that I am reading that Terror in the Night book which you gave me mum.. I was thinking all sorts haha but soon realised that no one else was disturbed by it and managed to settle after finding no problem, so I dunno what that was.. I think their house keeper may have smashed a glass by accident coz there was a dustpan on the floor in the kitchen in the morning..
Anyway this morning I went to church with Immy and Rapha.. its a pentecostal church very similar to what we are used to at home. Everyone is very friendly and I felt very welcome. I feel as though I am starting to really experience how life is out here rather than just do touristy things. I even hand-washed my own clothes today in a big bowl.. arent I good mother you will be impressed!
Love uuuuuu xx
On Friday I met up with some english volunteers through VSO who Anna introduced me too.. we met in a local bar/restaurant and I would say there were at least 15 of us, including three english kids with their mum and dad. It was great to speak to like-minded people and find out what everyone is doing here.. One couple, I would say they were in their late 50's, have been here for 4weeks and are learning how to ride a motorbike here! I motorbike! I wouldnt even drive a car on these crazy roads let alone a motorbike! They are going to be here for two years working with people who have special needs and disabilities.. they have also noticed the lack of education in that area and are focussing on changing peoples mindsets towards those with difficulties. Its a big task!
I have also been bonding even more with Sherry and Aidah.. I took them to Entebbe with me to show them where I work and we watched an end of term performance by the nursery kids. They were soo cute! Dancing in grass skirts and singing the elephant song which I taught them to their mums and dads who came to watch. The upper nursery class were leaving to go to P1 - Primary School so they had this reeeeally cute graduation ceremony.. with gowns and hats and certificates just like we do at University! Oh my gosh it was the sweetest thing everrr! They also used the time to celebrate Christmas and acted out the nativity, received presents and we all ate this huuge christmas cake after I had popped a big party popper over their heads which dad gave me ages ago - thanks dad it went down well!
Then I took Sherry and Aidah to the beach and the weather was just as we asked! - no rain! veeeery hot! So hot I got sunburnt! I am a Lobster! It rained in Kampala that day instead so I guess Entebbe was kept lovely just for us! We ate pizza on the beach.. they had never had pizza before and they were trying to work it all out bless them.. I taught them how to use a knife and fork and we just enjoyed each others company looking out onto a long stretch of white sand and calm water.. it was lush! After lunch we chilled paddling in the water.. the girls loved it they have never been to the beach before! Sherry got right stuck in and spent most of her time laying in the shallow water.. they cannot swim so I am going to teach them in a swimming pool when we get another nice day! We spent most of the time taking pictures haha they loved acting like models and were just so happy.Saturday evening I stayed over at Immy's place and played with her 2yr old son Rapha.. he is beginning to talk and picked up on a guys phrase a few weeks back so now says 'oh my what a day' haha soooo cute he even has a bit of an english accent on it!
Immy spent some time talking to me about giving birth in Uganda and oh my gosh it sounds crazy! When the mothers-to-be waters break they have to find their own gloves, syringes and mat to lie on and bring it to the hospital.. where they are placed in a big room in front of all the other mothers who are giving birth and they basically just get on with it.. with the whole room screaming in pain and without any pain relief at all, watching as some mothers around them survive the ordeal and other's dont. They are given no support afterwards either it sounds horrific I dunno how women do it here!
When I slept that night I was so freaked out coz at about 3am I heard this massive smash of what sounded like glass.. I thought either a window had been broken through or plates had fell in the kitchen.. it doesnt help that I am reading that Terror in the Night book which you gave me mum.. I was thinking all sorts haha but soon realised that no one else was disturbed by it and managed to settle after finding no problem, so I dunno what that was.. I think their house keeper may have smashed a glass by accident coz there was a dustpan on the floor in the kitchen in the morning..
Anyway this morning I went to church with Immy and Rapha.. its a pentecostal church very similar to what we are used to at home. Everyone is very friendly and I felt very welcome. I feel as though I am starting to really experience how life is out here rather than just do touristy things. I even hand-washed my own clothes today in a big bowl.. arent I good mother you will be impressed!
Love uuuuuu xx
No comments:
Post a Comment