Thursday, 27 August 2009

Party Week!

If I hear 'Teacher me, Teacher me' one more time I think my head will explode haha the kids at St Barnabas School are full on! They have no discipline at all, its mad, they just fight loads and don't listen to anyone.. I know they have been brought up in tough situations where they are being beaten and all sorts but the staff at the school should be showing them that that is not acceptable behaviour at school.

Its the holiday programme for the kids but its so unorganised...there is a schedule but the activities aren't previously planned.. so whilst the teachers sort and prepare the activities the kids run wild. We tried doing the OakeyCokey with them and they all just charged at each other and we tried doing Oranges and Lemons and they ended up in a pile up! So there has been lots of children needing first aid. I was chucked in at the deep end and was given a class of 35kids to run myself haha so we've done drawing, puzzles, reading, millions of songs and yesterday I taught them dance routines which was fun.

There was this one girl today though who broke my heart.. she is 9yrs old and was laying down on the bench with a fever... 'Teacher im sick' she whispered.. her head was on fire!!! It seemed like malaria.. she hadnt eaten in ages so I took her to get some chapatis and a drink..on the way back I was asking her about her family and she said she had one brother and sister but both her parents are dead so she is living in the slums with her uncle.. when we got back to the school she lay her head on my lap and fell asleep.. she was soooo cute.. but when she rushed up to be sick I realised just how bad she had it.. I took her to the head master who said that the doctor was out of town and she would have to go to a private doctor which costs money which the school are unable to afford.. so they are going to talk to her uncle and tell him she needs medical help..
When I said goodbye for the day she held on to me mega tight and started crying as she didnt want me to go.. I felt sooo bad leaving her crying at the school feeling so ill.. I dont know what to do to help for the long term... Im going to make sure that she is seen to and may have to pay for her medication as Im not just leaving her in that state. Joyce has malaria too so please pray as a lot of people are sick here and cannot afford medication.

I forgot to mention before about a story we were told to explain cultural differences...

A Ugandan man was sitting bay the lake with his fishing net, just relaxing under a tree after fishing when a Western man comes along and asks why he has only caught three fish...

'One for Breakfast, One for Lunch and One for Dinner' he replied...
'But if you work really hard and catch more fish you can make a business and sell fish, make lots of money and then you can enjoy life and relax'...
'But why would I want to do all that when I am enjoying life and relaxing already, right here by the lake' the Ugandan replied.

Haha that is sooo true.. we are always so busy working and on the go 24/7 when really we can relax if we just learn to accept our situation and who we are and enjoy life as we have it.

Thought for the day for ya :D

x love uuuuuuuuu x

1 comment:

  1. As usual another great entry full of descript. Don't forget that you always
    have THE doctor with you! Send our love to all over there from over here.

    ReplyDelete