Sunday, 11 July 2010

Open Eyes

Hiiii!

Sorry I havn't posted for a while the internet connection here has been impossible!

Hmmm... so where did I leave you... Over the past few days I have been communicating with the carpenter to make some shelves (for organisation and to create more space) plus three triple decker beds... this whole procedure has been so crazy as its all done in African time haha! I was told it would be ready before the weekend yet I've only just had the shelves installed and am still waiting for the beds... buuuut... they are good quality and are looking good!

Meanwhile, I attended a community event called 'African Child'. It is a day celebrating the time when the children of Africa stood up for their rights, against child abuse. The children were able to express the difficult situations which they are facing. Mydel dance crew performed and they were fantastic! - see side column for videos-

These past few days I have been getting to know the youth more and more.. they are expressing their needs to me and as they are talking I am trying to fight the tears and find ways out for them. I have heard about the broken families...many of the men in the slums have many wives, leaving them with many kids which they are failing to look after..

One young man named Dennis, only a few years younger than me, was expressing how difficult his home life is as his family is very complicated..., he is living with his mum and step dad but his step dad does not treat him well at all. It is sad that there is no stability for him.. he is forced to live where he can as he is not welcomed in his home.. he was saying how every day he worries about his future, where he is going to live, how he is going to eat... he explained how he wants to get a good job and have a family but he has not got the school fee's to be able to complete school, so is worried that he will not be able to provide for himself let alone a family. My gosh it is so difficult to hear... these youth are around my age and living a life of abuse, suffering and worry every single day. The only thing I could suggest was for him to learn how to use his hands to make money.. I think it would be good for him to spend a few months on the Dewe Project.

I was also faced with a girl who is experiencing spiritual attacks.. there are many witch doctors here in the slums.. people even sacrifice their child as they believe it will bring riches! When this girl is being attacked by the spirits she acts very strange... I dont think I should go into detail on here, but some of the things she has done is extremely embarrassing.. so much so that she does not want to return back to boarding school. The problem now is that she has missed a whole term of school and it is going to be difficult for her to find another school which will accept her after missing her exams.. she says she would prefer to go to a day school but this would mean her returning to the slums every evening.. which is not a secure or stable environment for her to study well. Tears rolled down her face as she was explaining how scared she was.. such a difficult situation... we prayed together but have yet to find a solution to her schooling.

Other children are experiencing abuse and/or hostility at home.. its so corrupt here.. if there is no mother to look after you, a child is more open to abuse and people here beat children for the smallest things! Even the police are corrupt.. everyone is just desperate for money money money so they will do anything for it.. even cheat on their friends, bribe each other, abuse and steal from each other. Gosh my eyes have been opened. On Saturday I just felt so numb and tearful because there is so much suffering here... so many people who are in need.. life seems so unfair.. how is it that two countries from the same earth can be so different, why have I been given such a lovely life with no true idea of suffering yet others have experienced such trauma.. my heart just goes out to each one of them..

Im sorry that this post has been quite depressing.. I was debating whether to write it or not... but I thought I would be honest with you about the situation here and actually writing it down is helping me to process everything.. my head has been so busy.

Good news is I am getting the beds tomorrow! Pictures of the transformed home will be up! The boys at the home are very happy with what has been achieved.. oh and I got mattresses today! We were marching through the busy market carrying big mattresses on our heads haha...

By the way did you know I was a muzungu? Perhaps I am not aware that I am a muzungu? Everyone seems to feel the need to remind me wherever I go... I guess I must be a muzungu!

Love uuuu xx

2 comments: