Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Visit 2012

I am very pleased and excited to tell you that I am returning to Uganda on July 22nd! With huuuge thanks to Rich who has sorted out discounted flights.. I couldn't have funded it otherwise!

The children very much view me as a mother figure and now the boys are growing into young adults they need to decide what kind of man they want to be. The men they have been brought up with in the slums have either been fighting in war, drunk on the local homemade booze, sitting on the road sides with no job or drive in their belly, using many women. The boys therefore really need a strong male role model who can help them grow from boys into successful, balanced men. So, I am bringing Matt to Uganda with me. I really trust Matt - he has strong morals, he is very driven and he is extremely positive and encouraging - just the type of man the boys need to be around!

We will be going for three weeks, spending our first week meeting with the staff and finding out the needs of the home. Since most of the boys will be finishing their last week at school before their holidays, we will tackle the needs straight away (I already know the house needs a fresh lick of paint and new mattresses!). Then, when the boys arrive home from boarding school the house will be ready for them, in a much better condition.

Considering that the boys are now growing up and are needing to find their direction in life, I feel it is really important to encourage them to think about what they are going to do once they finish school. Coming from the slums and becoming orphans, it was clear from my last visit, the boys never even dreamt of going to school let alone completing education and getting a job! Matt, Redondo and I will be talking to every boy individually to gather more information on them and to discuss a realistic goal for each boy - something other than being a professional football player! I am hoping that Matt and Redondo can work on building the boys self confidence, through mentoring and sport throughout the weeks and really getting to know every boy - what makes them tick, what they would love to do - to set small manageable steps for them to accomplish and build in self  belief.

As well as mentoring the boys, I have arranged for all the boys to return to the Dewe Project (check out our previous visit in older posts). The boys loved it last time and are always asking to go back! So, thanks to Brislington Fellowship, we have managed to fund 2 days of practical workshops on farming and agriculture skills - specifically growing their own food - a skill I see as extremely important and one which I hope the boys can implement when/if we buy some land for vegetation!

I will also take out 5 girls who I can see really have potential to take on skills and use them for their future. (Rachel took part in Dewe last time and she is now working full-time in Kampala and sending money back to help her family!). This visit, I would like to spend more time with the girls who are at a very vulnerable age of become a woman. They are at the point where they either choose to follow the rest of their peers in the slums and fall pregnant, struggling for money and putting their health at risk, or they could choose to learn a trade which can bring in money and set them up for a more successful future. I am going to spend time mentoring the girls and discussing their choices.

I will also be teaching dance as I aim to put on a fundraising performance at the end of the 3weeks to raise money for the home. I am just trying to find a venue for the performance - I am hoping I can get in touch with a church in Kampala who will help - so please get your prayers flowing!

Oh and whilst we are on the topic of prayers.. please pray for our safety, especially as we are going over the Olympics. Last time there was an international event (World Cup) two bombs went off down the road from me!

Back to positive.. Thank you so much for all your donations of clothes and school bags! Matt and I will have big suitcases full to the brim of things for the boys! If anyone has any lightweight blankets going please send them my way as bedding will be an issue once all the boys are back from boarding for the summer!

We are trying to raise some money for a kitty which we could use for any immediate needs we see in the house - such as mattresses, paint, mosquito nets, safe boxes, school equipment and medication. If you would like to help, please click on the donate button to the right of the page. None of the money you donate will fund Matt or myself. It will all be used for the boys and the Mydel Home. I will be writing my blog every other day (providing there is electricity!) and will update you on everything we buy. English money goes so far in Uganda and the boys would be eternally grateful.

Thanks for all your support. I seriously could not do this without you.

We shall speak again in sunny Uganda! Whoooop! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*** A Huuuuuuge THANK YOU to all those who donated clothes, shoes, bedding and school equipment to Uganda.. check out the SIX (!!) suitcases we have managed to fill! ***





*** With SPECIAL THANKS to Joy & Martin and their family and friends for their very generous donations to the project. Your kindness bought tears to my eyes as I know just how much we can do with the money and how many lives we will see changed from your donations. THANK YOU! ***


No comments:

Post a Comment