Friday, 4 December 2009

Mydel Youth

This week I have been working with Mydel.. its a group of youth from the slums ranging from ages 12 -18. They are a great bunch of kids with a lot of enthusiasm for dance, in particular break-dance, drama, football and they are also currently trying to start a netball and basketball team.

They gave me such a lovely welcome when I returned and I immediately felt connected to them. They have developed so much since our last visit. They have set up a drama group which meets regularly and have written some good scripts.. mainly portraying the hardship of street life. They have assigned roles to particular members so keep charge of things such as finance, music, costume, fundraising etc and seem very organised with it all written down and signed by the appropriate person...plus they have created consent forms for their parents to be aware and in agreement with their projects- I was very impressed!

They showed me their dances which we created last time and had even created their own zulu and dramatised dance. It was great to see how inspired they got from our last visit and they have really put in hard work.

I bought them some hiphop music from home which they loved and, although I sat down with them going through the booklets which I had made on choreography, they were very keen for me to teach them a routine. My idea was for them to create their own dance but since they had proved they could already do that and it was just my style which they wanted to learn I agreed and we have began creating a really kool street dance with salsa thrown into it aswel.

The past few days I have been starting to feel a lot better so I was able to get my ''teacher head'' on and I have really enjoyed working with the youth. After a few hours of working on the routine, the boys usually come in to the small room which we have to practise and they do some awesome bboying... like spinning on their heads n flips n all sorts..its amazing to watch.. they can just freestyle for hours!

I had a meeting with Pascal, the youth leader- he is literally an African version of Haydn!- he has great plans for Mydel but is constantly finding ways to fundraise more money as their main problem is funds. He explained how the recession had caused problems from them as a lot of sponsors are unable to provide school fee's now so many children have had to be pulled out of school. They only have 1 ball, which is on its way out, to teach footie to 50 kids! - also they have a very small room and office - both rooms would fit into our living room! Also, the youth are getting more serious about their drama and dance and are entering competitions where other groups have the full shibang with costumes whereas they only have their slum clothes and the t-shirts which I bought them last time.

So, I decided to give Dimi's donation towards what they need. It was still a tight budget but they did very well in prioritizing what they needed and divided the money for costumes, music and footballs. I was supposed to of gone shopping with the girls today to buy material to make the skirt for their zulu dance but my stomach was very unsettled - which is annoying as I thought I was on the up- so I went home early....

Oh my gosh Ive just realised!!! Right here and now I have just realised why I was to come home early! I came home and within the hour I received a phone call from Violet to say Sherry and Aidah's dad had just past away.... Sherry came round right away in floods of tears.. she sat on my bed and said 'Tia all my hopes and prayers have failed. I have lost hope in everything I ever dreamed and prayed for now. Now I have nothing' (i told you about her 5 dreams last time) As she broke down in front of me all I could do was hold her in my arms.. and then I remembered the book I was reading about a man who lost his whole family and how he learned that God had a bigger picture and was still in control. I shared this with her and encouraged her not to loose hope and I think she was taking it in.

Sherry then explained how they have only just found out and that since her dad was Muslim they have the burial within a day so they have to go tonight and therefore do not have any money prepared to go. So I gave her enough money for her family to go and also feed themselves for the weekend. Now just as I'm writing this I have realised why I had to come back early from Mydel... For Sherry and her family.

Please pray for them and also for my own wisdom in the situation.

I could not do this without your support and prayers.. I am so thankful for all of you everyday.

I love you. May God bless you all abundantly xx

No comments:

Post a Comment